By default, and depending on what theme you use, a menu is usually generated for you when you first install WordPress. However, this is basic page-only menu that does not give you much flexibility. Because of this, we will take you through the steps of creating custom menus for your site.
To create a custom navigation menu:
- Go to Appearance > Menu
- Click on “Create a new menu” to create a new menu (eg. Main Menu).
- Add the menu items from the left panels whether they are pages, posts, categories, or custom links.
- To create dropdown menu: drag the menu item toward the right (the item(s) will be indented)
- When you are done adding the menu items, click “Save Menu“
To assign menu locations:
This will depend on the theme you are using because every theme will use their own menu locations that are made available to you. You are also not limited to just the menu locations that comes with your theme, you can also create additional menus to use in widgets.
- Scroll down to the bottom where it says “Theme locations” and tick the menu location checkbox. For example, we will use the Twenty Seventeen theme.
- Top Menu – This is the main menu for Twenty Seventeen
- Social Links Menu – This is the social icon menu for Twenty Seventeen
Do You Need More Detailed Tutorials?
This tutorial is a basic tutorial for creating a menu. However, if you are a WordPress beginner, you can refer to the WordPress Menu User Guide.